Saturday 10 March 2012

Snack Attack!

So I've still been sticking to a healthier lifestyle these days and have slowly been seeing the results. As I mentioned before, I don't want to deprive myself in order to keep these new habits as a way of life. Part of this has been trying to figure out some good snacks for when I'm feeling a little peckish. I must admit, I am now noticing that most pre-packaged snack foods are not very good for us.


Along with what's below, I've enjoyed edamame, sugar snap peas with hummus, organic raisins, raw almonds, or fruit with yogurt and cottage cheese or my go-to Quinoa parfait. When I'm craving chips, I go for baked varieties by brands like Garden of Eatin', Barbara's (Jalapeno- yum!), Pirates Booty, or Hummus Chips by Northern Choice.



Homemade is usually best though since it's more natural and unprocessed. Here are some recipes I've really been enjoying these days...


Kale Chips
1 bunch kale
1/2 tsp olive oil
sea salt to taste


Wash the kale and dry thoroughly with paper towels or a salad spinner.  Remove the large spines and cut or rip into bite sized pieces.  Massage olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Bake at 350 for 10-15 min. These are seriously amazing!


Cucumber Salad
2 cups greek yogurt
1 cucumber, sliced
1 clove garlic 
1 tsp dill
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp sea salt
Pepper to taste


Combine in a bowl and serve.

White Bean Dip
1 can white kidney beans, rinsed
1 clove garlic
1 tsp rosemary
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt


Combine using a blender or food processor until smooth. Serve with veggies, scoop into endive or with high fibre crackers (I love Wasa brand).

Baked Yam Fries
1 large Yam
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
pinch of cayenne is optional

Slice yams into french fry sized strips. Toss in oil and salt. Bake at 375 for 15 mins. Try a creamy, low calorie salad dressing (like dill, jalepeno or chipotle) as a dip instead of mayo.

Popcorn
Air popped popcorn with Bragg seasoning dashed on for saltiness. If you like spice, try McCormick Chipotle seasoning sprinkled on top. My aunt also let me try something called "Engevita Yeast" (aka "nutritional yeast") which did taste like White Cheddar seasoning, but kind of creeped me out LOL. I might give it another try though since I've read more on it and how good it is for you.

Feel free to share any of your favourite snack ideas in the comments below :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...