Wednesday 8 February 2012

local--> original

I am so grateful to live in Vancouver- a beautiful city, brimming with art and beauty. When it comes to shopping I usually look online or at large chain stores to get great deals, but I must say, it can be so worthwhile to check into local designers.

As a freelance Makeup Artist working with various stylists and brands, I am constantly falling in love with the various pieces I see on set. The great thing about buying items that aren't severely mass-produced is that they stay somewhat original. I am going to Coachella soon, so I am making a keen effort to not dress in something from my usual suspects (ex F21 or Zara). I've been looking into what's local and has some character, here is some of what I've found, all great deals too...

Aroha Silhouettes First off, one of my local faves and a brand I have been privileged to work with. Designer Tania Hennessy comes up with creative "silhouettes" which she translates into pieces which are unlike anything I've seen! I've worn mine a few times and know they are classics I will wear for a long, long time. 

Here's me on NYE wearing my fave, the Obedient Necklace. On the right is the Molecular Addictions campaign I did makeup on, probably the most popular design for Vancouverites... THC ;)


This is one of my fave pieces, and next on my wish list... 
the Aggregate Vinyl Record Necklace at $45


 Aroha always has some Sale items available, ex: 
the Cautious necklace for $35 (left) or 
the Articulate (right) for $40


Also on Sale, the Perception Optical Illusion 
Necklace ($26) and Earrings ($23)


Anna Kosturova I am so proud that Anna is a Vancouver gal, since her beachwear is some of the hottest out there! Her line is constantly featured in Sports Illustrated and on celebs like Jen Aniston and Miranda Kerr. She is currently holding her "Sweetheart Sale" where some of her Bikinis are as low as $40!

Oh so sexy! Rangali Vest $103.50 and Rainbow Halter $40 (ordered this to use as a top or with black bottoms as a bathing suit)

The Preppy Halterkini $45 or Beach Bunny Bikini $40. 
Hurry though, items are selling out fast and the sale is 
only on until Feb.14th!

Vincent Lee Collection Vincent is not only an excellent fashion designer, but also a popular Vancouver Stylist. I've worked with him on more shoots than I can count! His line is available through him directly or at 212. He does have a couple of items on sale (most sold out, but what's left is an additional 10% off). The SS/12 VL Collection is being released right now (one photo at a time) so be sure to check his page to see what's new!

 Sale items: Shearling Jacket $49.50 and Faux Fur Coat $88.20

Sneak peak at 2 of my fave under $100 pieces from his SS '12: 
Black Lace bikini bottoms $38 and Wide Leg Pants $98

Lancaster I was so pleased to get to work on their most recent campaign (directly below). I will have to say, I am not one to ever wear a team shirt or jersey, but when the Canucks came so close to the Stanley Cup last year (I know, don't remind me), I was ready to order one of their hot Vintage style T's. They do have sales, so be sure to look at their site or fb page for updates.

 These are the Canucks t's that first attracted me to 
the line, available at the Canucks Team Stores.

Another wishlist item, this Nature of Things t $29, featuring a young David Suzuki (complete with his old-school fro). If I was 
a guy, I would rock this Hockey Night in Canada sweatshirt $49. 


Artifaax Last but certainly not least, my Aunt Denise Brillon's line of Native jewelry pieces are some that I have been wearing and getting compliments on for years. I love the modern, yet tradition take she uses when designing her pieces. I was so pleased to hear that she recently opened a page on Etsy to easily order her items. 

The Eagle Crows acrylic earrings on the left are $45

More from her Acrylic collection...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...